|Objectives of the NIGUM
Provisions to attain aforesaid objectives
- To act as a catalyst institution to promote professionalism and offer a venue for public discourse on innovation, public policy (formulation and implementation) and problem solving in urban governance and management.
- To act as think tank and assist governments in urban sector policy formulation and analysis.
- To share knowledge, information and experience in decentralization, good urban governance and municipal management and human settlement practices and also to act as knowledge hub.
- To undertake and/or commission interdisciplinary social science research studies with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness of,
- urban services, urban projects and programmes implementation – housing, environment, poverty alleviation, livelihood etc.
- studies related to decentralization and good urban governance with a focus on development administration and public management system.
- Deepening managerial, technical and analytical skills through policy and programme relevant professional education, specialized courses and training to urban managers, leaders, urban sector institutions and para-statal organization to promote professionalism.
- To attract, nurture and harness the young intellectual capital for the cause of strengthening urban development systems, governance and management through interns scheme.
- To act as the nodal centre for gathering, sharing and disseminating information and experience in decentralization, governance, service delivery, municipal management and other urban related issues.
- Eenergizes sustained urban development and community involvement through collaborations with local, regional, national and international institutions.
- Networking amongst training, research and academic institutions within and beyond the country for sharing of information and
- Exchange of Information, Professionals and Instructional Resource.
- Exchange of information in the field of Training and Best Practices.
- Setting up of data bank on case/research studies etc.
- Holding periodic Seminars/workshops/meetings to discuss various aspects of urban governance, Human Settlement, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, Training and Human Resources Development and also for over all urban development.
- To undertake such other activities and programmes and to create such other infrastructures as may be found conducive to furtherance of above goals and objectives of the centre.
- Receive the allocated funds from Government of India and its stakeholder departments, State Governments and its department, International Agencies.
- Accept grants, securities or property of any kind and accept the management of any endowment, trust, fund or donation consistent with the objectives of society (NIGUM).
- Invest and deal with the funds and moneys of the society (NIGUM).
- Reserve Fund, Sinking Fund, Insurance Fund and any other funds.
- Impose and recover fees and charges for the courses and services rendered/offer by it.
- Create Reserve Fund, Sinking Fund, Insurance Fund or any other special fund for the benefit of the society (NIGUM) and its workers and for depreciation, repair, improvement, extension or maintenance of any of the properties or rights of the society (NIGUM) and/or for recouping wasting assets and for any other purposes for which the institute deems it expedient or proper to create or maintain any such fund or funds.
- Establish a Provident Fund (PF) for the benefit of the staff of the society (NIGUM).
- Create teaching, administrative, technical, ministerial and other posts in the society (NIGUM) and make appointments thereto in accordance with the rules and regulation of the society (NIGUM).
- Make rules and bye-laws for the conduct of the affairs of the society (NIGUM) and add to, amend, vary or rescind them from time to time by taking approval from the General Council/ Executive Council of the society (NIGUM).
- Do all such other acts and things, either alone or in conjunction with organizations or persons as the NIGUM may consider necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.